Since 2014, the United States has seen a rise in vegan consumers quickly climb from 1% to 6%. Plant-based diets have risen in popularity, and are among the top healthy eating trends of the decade. Additional health eating trends rising in popularity in the current years include a gluten-free diet, healthier snacking options, ketogenic diets, and CBD infused foods.
Often when you think of vegan options and healthy eating trends, pizza isn’t the first thing that comes to mind, but here at Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired Pizza we strive to be a place where anyone can come, feel welcome, and enjoy a delicious meal that fits their own needs. We are proud to offer unique dietary menu options at Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired Pizza and participate in providing options for a variety of dietary needs and trends.
What does it mean to be vegan?
Veganism is a plant-based diet, which excludes meat, eggs, and all animal-derived products. The term “vegan” came into existence in 1944 when a group of vegetarians broke off from the Leicester Vegetarian Society in England, wanting to make sure their diets not only excluded all animal-derived products, not just meat. The word vegan was chosen by taking the first and last letters of the word vegetarian.
Why do people eat vegan?
There are a wide variety of reasons why individuals choose a vegan diet, here are just a few of the most popular reasons:
- Health: One of the main reasons people live a plant-based diet is for health reasons. Plant-based diets have a solid chance of reducing the risk of many diseases, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer. There are even studies showing that limiting animal products in your diet helps reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s. The hormones and antibiotics often found in animal products are also a contributing reason people choose a vegan lifestyle. Veganism is often linked to lower body weight and some people go vegan to lose weight.
- Going Green: Animal products and agriculture create a higher amount of emissions than plant-based options. Along with the higher emission output, it also requires much more water to produce meat than it does the same amount of cereal grains.
- Ethics: Many people opt out of eating animal products because they don’t want to contribute to the living conditions or stressed farm animals go through.
- Convenience: The current trend in the rise of plant-based options at restaurants and in grocery stores makes it easier to eat a vegan lifestyle, it has become less daunting and more inviting, causing more people to give this diet a chance.
Other popular healthy eating trends?
- Gluten-free diets are very common today, gluten-free diets exclude eating the protein gluten. People choose gluten-free diets to help manage medical conditions such as celiac disease. Additionally, it is a dietary choice for individuals seeking personal health benefits including more energy, lowering cholesterol, and improved digestion.
- The rise of Cannabidiol (CBD) in food products is a massive trend in 2019. CBD has been linked to pain relief, faster recovery and better sleep, and when combined with food the effectiveness of CBD can up to quadruple.
- Probiotics, a source of fiber that the human body cannot digest, have been rising in popularity and consumers have shown more interest in digestive health in recent years.
What does Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired Pizza have for people with dietary restrictions?
Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired pizza is happy to be serving options for both vegan and gluten-free diets. Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired Pizza’s traditional sauce and crust includes no animal products, meaning they are both vegan-friendly. Recently added to the topping roster, vegan cheese is available for individuals who choose a vegan diet. Along with fresh vegetables, you can make one incredible vegan pizza.
Though the normal pizza crust at Smokin’ Oak Wood-Fired pizza is not gluten-free, there is a gluten-free option available (please note, however, that our gluten-free pizzas are baked on the same surface as our regular, signature crust). And yes, this can be combined with vegan cheese, meaning you can even create a delicious gluten-free vegan pizza of your dreams! We are happy to be able to provide a place for everyone to gather and enjoy a delicious meal, not letting dietary restrictions get in the way.